Privacy notice for Edinburgh Mountaineering Club
Edinburgh Mountaineering Club takes your privacy seriously.
We are a “controller” of the personal information that you provide to us and this
privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as who it is
shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
Table of Contents
What we need from you
When you register as a member of Edinburgh Mountaineering Club or renew your membership,
we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details – name, address, email address and phone number.
- Safety and emergency details – emergency contact details, next of kin,
relevant health conditions.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need this may affect our ability
to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us.
We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card,
end of year renewal.
- Provide you with information on club activities and manage risk and safety if you attend a meet on the
hill or at a climbing wall.
- Register your membership with the representative body, Mountaineering Scotland, to provide you with
insurance cover, magazine subscription and other benefits they offer to members of clubs,
including access to courses and competitions.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the activity of the club, opportunities to get involved in club
meets, general meetings or other events.
- Raise awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, or live streaming at events.
We will use this on the club website.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints,
concerns or allegations.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our members for the
purposes of complying with obligations under:
- The Equality Act 2010, which requires us to process personal information to make reasonable adjustments
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for other purposes. Where we do so, we will provide
you with an additional privacy notice explaining how we will use your information for these purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
When we register your membership with Mountaineering Scotland we pass on your personal data and
Mountaineering Scotland become a controller of your personal data. Mountaineering Scotland provides full details
of how it uses your personal data in its own
privacy notice and will not use it for any
- We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities to comply
with statutory obligations. We may also share personal information with professional and legal advisors
for the purpose of obtaining advice.
Third party suppliers with access to members’ personal data
The Edinburgh Mountaineering Club may use third party suppliers to provide services. These suppliers may
process personal data on our behalf as “processors” and are subject to contractual conditions to
only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information
strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process
the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is accessed by our Committee members only for the purposes set out above. It is stored
by our club in electronic records, held securely in Google Drives with access restricted to Committee members
and accessed by password. Your personal data is transferred to Mountaineering Scotland by inputting it directly
into their secure website.
How long we keep your personal information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless
you ask us not to, we will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your
membership with us for 1 year.
You have a right to:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Request that we delete your personal information.
- Access the personal data that we hold about you through a “subject access request”.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the
Information Commissioner’s Office.