Edinburgh Mountaineering Club: Meet Report
<<< UllapoolGalleryCannich >>>
Eigg and Rum from Sgurr na Ciche - Dennis Smith On Sgurr Coire Choinneachan - Dennis Smith
Eigg and Rum from Sgurr na Ciche - Dennis Smith

Meet Report

1st to 3rd April 2002 - Torrie Shieling, Inverie

This year, for the first time, the Club were trying out the Torrie Shieling Bunkhouse at Inverie for the Spring weekend break. Driving from Arisaig to Mallaig on Friday evening to pick up our boat, the views were simply stunning with Skye, Rum and Eigg etched clearly against a beautiful sunset - a good omen perhaps for the weekend to come. Apart from having a bit of difficulty getting Jessie into the small boat taking us to Inverie, the journey over was wonderful, allowing us to catch the last of the light before arriving at Inverie around 10pm.

Saturday dawned clear, bright and cloudless. The mountains here are absolutely superb and before long, small groups had disappeared off to do various things - Anne and Richard climbed Luinne Bheinn and Meall Buidhe; Alison, Lindesay, Alistair and Steph climbed Ladhar Bheinn by its western ridge, with Alison going on to bag the Corbett, Beinn na Caillich; Dennis took the boat round to Loch Nevis and climbed Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Chioch Mhor; Martin had a massive day on Ladhar Bheinn, Luinne Bheinn and Meall Buidhe. Albert, Judith, Cathy and I walked up to the head of the Mam Meadail and climbed Meall Buidhe then Cathy and I went on to climb the Corbett too - Beinn Bhuidhe - this turned out to be a very long way indeed. It was only when we thought our planned dinner at the Pier House might be under threat that we decided to drop down before the end of the ridge - ok until we hit a deer fence. The only way for the two of us and the dog to conquer this was to squirm limbo fashion under the wire which was all of about six inches above the ground. After about half an hour we ran into another deer fence and ended up "posting" Jessie through an enlarged square in the fence before we clambered over it, snagging both clothes and skin in the process. The meal in the Pier House was booked for 8pm - Cathy and I made it for about 8.15 having had the fastest shower in history.

I think it would be safe to say that our meal was simply superb. Between platters of langoustines, bowls of mussels and pan fried sea bream, the whole experience was a culinary delight, washed down as ever with copious quantities of wine.

Sunday was wet and grey to start with but we all set off to do various versions of the same hills as Saturday. By early afternoon, after some sleet and hail (the top of Ladhar Bheinn was quite white), the sun came out and all the crap weather cleared from the west, leaving marvellous views for anyone on top of a hill at the time. It also turned out that I was not the only one to be accompanied by a four-legged friend. Dennis found himself befriended by none other than little Wheeshtie (aka Rhona), a wee local dog of some character who stuck with him during his entire walk up (and down) the Mam Meadail. Being only 12 for the weekend, we had organised a communal meal, with Alistair and Stephanie providing a stunning fish pie, topped and tailed with delicious soups and puddings.

Our last day, Monday, was once again glorious. Although Anne and Richard climbed Beinn Bhuidhe, the rest of us had saved the shortest Corbett for the last day - Sgurr Coire Choinnichean - and two routes were taken to reach the summit. It is a fantastic hill and once again the views were glorious. We managed to find a route down which brought us virtually to the bunkhouse where we could pack up and get ourselves back to Inverie for our boat ride to Mallaig (some managed to fit in a spot of lunch before we left). Leaving Inverie, the hills looked magnificent - it is a truly magical place, and wee Wheeshtie was seen underneath the pier, having obviously turned up to bid farewell to his walking chum. Although a more expensive meet than our norm, something tells me we will be back.

Lesley and Jessie