Edinburgh Mountaineering Club: Meet Report
<<< Blackrock CottageAdd photosMill Cottage >>>

Meet Report

14th to 16th September 2007 - Glen Brittle Hut

This proved to be a popular meet with 19 members arriving at the BMC club hut in Glen Brittle on the Friday night, the most remarkable thing was that we had less than 19 cars and Ron made it up the A9 without setting off any speed cameras. The evening was beautiful with masses of stars twinkling above the Cuillins, oh how that would change.

To say Saturday was wet, well that doesn't really begin to cover it, it was absolutely torrential all day. Anne and I headed to the north of the island, just above Uig to do a wee hill there in the cloud, gale force winds and torrential and I mean torrential rain. Martin, Ewan, Sara, David and Helen did an assault on Bruach na Frithe and unlike us managed to get a few views through the rain, on the way back to the road however the river that was crossed with relative ease on the way up had turned into a raging torrent that proved rather interesting to cross and all came back with varying degrees of wetness, Sara`s mobile phone not reacting well to its swim. Other folks were in the Red Cuillin and the Trotternish hills, all reported very very wet conditions. The drying room was having to work very hard but this being skye it was surely used to that.

Sunday was er wet again, Martin, David, Ewan, myself and Alison for some reason thought it would be a good plan to go into Coire Lagan, Ewan quite wisely turned back as we got into the corrie proper and Alison shortly afterwards. We carried on and by a minor miracle it did actually lift for a while and we made it up on to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, we had grand plans to carry on but Martin the skye guru failed to find the route past An Stac and as a result was not paid his guiding fee! We returned into the corrie to find Alison who on seeing the weather lift had headed up to Sgurr Sgumain. Other folks had headed to Macleods tables and a return along the coast, by late afternoon the sun had even made an appearance. We all headed en masse to the Carbost Inn for dinner that night.

Most folk headed straight off the island on Monday, it was very very windy but a beautiful day but definetly not one for the main ridge.

A wet weekend but enjoyed by all and the hut was excellent and well worth a return visit.

Alan R